- Currently, students have little incentive to help their peers study.
- Standard office hours are not always enough for students to get all the help they need.
- Explaining a concept to someone else is one of the best ways to learn but due to the competitive environment of classes, students are discouraged from helping each other learn.
- Social loafing - if students assume their peers will be helped by someone else, they are less likely to take the time to answer questions.
- By allowing students to earn bonus marks by helping their peers learn, moviU incentivizes peer-to-peer learning. moviU also matches each student to one other student, thereby creating a greater obligation to help answer questions. moviU's answer format allows live chat and interaction, allowing for personalized learning and better quality answers.
What it does
- Student is confused by a concept taught in class.
- Student logs on to moviU and posts the question.
- moviU's smart algorithm will match the student to a peer, based on internal rankings and academic performance.
- The student's peer will get a notification, prompting them to respond to the question through a live chat.
- The student who answered the question will get bonus marks per question answered.
How we built it
Used Meteor and React.