Inspiration

I have always wanted to program my own game boy game with the hopes that I would be able to be able to play it on an actual game boy. I was inspired by the theme of Dungeons and Dragons to create a game where the user would play as a monster. My original plan was to have the game work the same way as the original snake game but instead of a snake, you would play as a monster worm that would eat people for 1 pt, consume monsters for 5 pts, and defeating heroes would be 15 pts. By collecting food on the board, the worm would get a temporary speed powerup. You would lose once the worm goes outside of the set boundaries of the screen.

What it does

Currently it does not run.

How I built it

My project was built using the Gameboy Development Kit which is a C compiler, and assembler, and libraries for the game boy. The program itself is run using BGB which is a game boy emulator that runs on windows.

Challenges I ran into

I don't know much about C which is a learning curve. I have several "implicit declaration" errors that I am trying to solve.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I am proud that I have taken my first steps into learning the C language which is completely new to me.

What I learned

I learned some of the basics of the C language which syntax-wise is similar to Java.

What's next for Monster Snake

Next is to get the code to actually run. Then implement the original systems I described above. The final step would be to add assets to the game to make it look good.

Built With

  • bgb
  • c
  • gbdk
Share this project:

Updates