Threat of growing disinformation scares us. It scares us even more when we think that the voters of tomorrow are disinterested, disillusioned and underprepared for what awaits them when they become part of the democratic exercise.
What it does
It's a web app designed to simultaneously improve voter engagement and inoculate them against misinformation campaigns arising as a result of AI generated videos and news by exposing them to it early in an environment where their neural circuits can be provided feedback on correct identification of such news and thus strengthened. It also attempts to inform the user of their political leaning by asking them where they think certain political articles fall on the spectrum (left, leaning left, center, leaning right, or right). Using the distance between their answer and the estimated political
How we built it
We built it using Vue.js, Azure's SQL platform, lots of Python scraping.
Challenges we ran into
- Messy data all over the place.
- Quirky behavior of Python + Azure SQL
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We are proud of our idea to increase self awareness among voters, to help them realize their political leaning, without the external interferences which often cloud judgements.
What we learned
- Front end is best left alone.
What's next for Misinformation Vaccine
- Expansion into countries with questionable democratic practices.