What is Middle Ground?
Middle Ground provides a non-biased perspective on political issues by featuring articles on either side of the debate, allowing the user to make an informed opinion on the subject. Our goal is to empower people who are acclimated to the echo chambers of social media platforms to grow more conscious of other perspectives.
How we built it
- Parsed and retrieved news articles from the News API
- Filtered articles based on a political sentiment analysis from the Indico API
- Separated articles according to political leaning (currently tuned to liberal and conservative perspectives)
- Developed website using HTML, CSS, and Jekyll templating
Challenges we ran into
- Handling asynchronous API calls
- Integrating multiple APIs with no prior experience
- Working with Git and resolving merge conflicts
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning new tools and languages
- Designing and developing a clean and good-looking product
What's next for Middle Ground?
- Extracting full article text from a URL for sentiment analysis
- Implementing a fact checking API to allow users to instantly asess the credibility of the sources
- Adding a search function for any user-specified topics
- Providing a platform to facilitate communication between legislators and citizens
- Including articles that lean more towards other political parties
- Making website responsive