Our inspiration was sparked by the taunting reality of graduation, and the harsh reality of not actually remembering what we did within the last 3 to 4 years. Of course, we knew we had gone to some road trips, attended a few concerts here and there, maybe a hackathon, but we really didn't have any digital recollection of these awesome memories we had. What we really had were a few Facebook statuses buried under our statuses of glorious cats, and couple of tagged photos of some pretty not-so-glorious moments. But are those actually meaningful, intentional? Probably not. Have no fear though, we too hope to remember those special moments you had with you friends, where you could look back on it over a campfire with a couple of old friends.

What it does

It creates intentional, collaborative "memories" of photos, statuses, videos, audios of a special event you and a few friends are attending. After a x-period of time, our intentions were to integrate it to DropBox or Google Drive, where they are archived, which may someday be forgotten, but handy when you and a few friends are back in town or even hanging out remotely.

How I built it

We built this using the isomorphic javascript framework, Meteor.js, which provides us with a MongoDB as our backend data source.

Challenges I ran into

Since we've only hard about Meteor.JS through friends and word of mouth, we didn't have a strong grasp on it. Thus, we ran across several bugs continuously, and forced us to do a lot of research was needed to see what was wrong. Ideally we would of wished to integrate more media types, and an additional service.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

A fairly completed web app off of no previous knowledge with the framework.

What I learned

What we learned were the basics of meteor js and how helpful a javascript framework is.

What's next for Memoria

  • Ideally DropBox and Drive
  • Refactoring a lot of sloppy code, and restructuring the app as we develop better understandings of Meteor.js
  • Alternative means of storing data
  • Utilizing additional external data sets
Share this project: