I twisted my ankle and got a prescription anti-inflammatory drug for it. A friend took a look at my pill bottle and pointed out that although the instructions and warnings are pretty thorough, nowhere on the bottle does it say what the drug actually does...

What it does

Retrieves basic information on what the active ingredient in the drug does and what other drugs have the same ingredient (in case you're looking for alternatives/generics).

How I built it

Using Python's Flask and requests modules and several API's from the National Library of Medicine for back-end. Partner used Jquery/html/css for the front-end.

Challenges I ran into

API's for retrieving data on pharmaceuticals suck. There's so many different identification numbers and databases and each API is not very clear on which id codes they require to return what output.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Getting the thing to work at all.

What I learned

Just because an API exists does not mean it's usable and/or good. It's better to start small and build up to a bigger project.

What's next for MedLineBling

Maybe downloading one of these pharmaceutical compound databases or scraping/making one ourselves so we don't have to slow down the app by making multiple API calls to retrieve basic information.

Built With

Share this project: