πŸ’‘ Inspiration πŸ’‘

We call them heroes, but the support we give them is equal to the one of a slave. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, a lot of medics have to keep track of their patient's history, symptoms, and possible diseases. However, we've talked with a lot of medics, and almost all of them share the same problem when tracking the patients: Their software is either clunky and bad for productivity, or too expensive to use on a bigger scale. Most of the time, there is a lot of unnecessary management that needs to be done to get a patient on the record.

Moreover, the software can even get the clinician so tired they have a risk of burnout, which makes their disease predictions even worse the more they work, and with the average computer-assisted interview lasting more than 20 minutes and a medic having more than 30 patients on average a day, the risk is even worse. That's where we introduce My MedicAid. With our AI-assisted patient tracker, we reduce this time frame from 20 minutes to only 5 minutes. This platform is easy to use and focused on giving the medics the ultimate productivity tool for patient tracking.

❓ What it does ❓

My MedicAid gets rid of all of the unnecessary management that is unfortunately common in the medical software industry. With My MedicAid, medics can track their patients by different categories and even get help for their disease predictions using an AI-assisted engine to guide them towards the urgency of the symptoms and the probable dangers that the patient is exposed to. With all of the enhancements and our platform being easy to use, we give the user (medic) a 50-75% productivity enhancement compared to the older, expensive, and clunky patient tracking software.

πŸ—οΈ How we built it πŸ—οΈ

The patient's symptoms get tracked through an AI-assisted symptom checker, which uses APIMedic to process all of the symptoms and quickly return the danger of them and any probable diseases to help the medic take a decision quickly without having to ask for the symptoms by themselves. This completely removes the process of having to ask the patient how they feel and speeds up the process for the medic to predict what disease their patient might have since they already have some possible diseases that were returned by the API. We used Tailwind CSS and Next JS for the Frontend, MongoDB for the patient tracking database, and Express JS for the Backend.

🚧 Challenges we ran into 🚧

We had never used APIMedic before, so going through their documentation and getting to implement it was one of the biggest challenges. However, we're happy that we now have experience with more 3rd party APIs, and this API is of great use, especially with this project. Integrating the backend and frontend was another one of the challenges.

βœ… Accomplishments that we're proud of βœ…

The accomplishment that we're the proudest of would probably be the fact that we got the management system and the 3rd party API working correctly. This opens the door to work further on this project in the future and get to fully deploy it to tackle its main objective, especially since this is of great importance in the pandemic, where a lot of patient management needs to be done.

πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ What we learned πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ

We learned a lot about CRUD APIs and the usage of 3rd party APIs in personal projects. We also learned a lot about the field of medical software by talking to medics in the field who have way more experience than us. However, we hope that this tool helps them in their productivity and to remove their burnout, which is something critical, especially in this pandemic.

πŸ’­ What's next for My MedicAid πŸ’­

We plan on implementing an NLP-based service to make it easier for the medics to just type what the patient is feeling like a text prompt, and detect the possible diseases just from that prompt. We also plan on implementing a private 1-on-1 chat between the patient and the medic to resolve any complaints that the patient might have, and for the medic to use if they need more info from the patient.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates