We wanted to do something to give back to the MCIT community! We hope to strengthen the MCIT network with this website.
What it does
Provides a central location for MCIT students & alumni to record their information. Students and alumni can then filter for people who are willing to mentor and reach out.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
- Understanding the react component lifecycle
- Debugging with async functions, await Node.js:
- Understanding the backend functionality
- How it is connected to the database and the frontend CSS:
- Flexbox and Grid specifics
- Organization of the CSS code Choosing technology:
- Which database?
- Which hosting site? Working synchronously:
- Learning more about GitHub
- Hosting a server online Deploying on to hosting site:
- Moving the website from local to Heroku. This continues to be a problem and hopefully something we can fix for the future!
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
We're proud of the fact that we were able to set up a front end, back end, and database without prior experience with any of these things.
What I learned
What's next for MCIT Student Network
The most important next step is to be able to host the website completely on Heroku (currently some pieces still only run on local). We would also like to provide functionality for people to be able to edit their information and see the MCIT alumni data in an aggregated data visualization
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.