We often find ourselves wanting wifi but there is no accessible networks in many different places. With MarketMesh, it is easy to buy internet access via LTE from others in the local area. We even allow for other items to be sold.
How it works
Using Apple's multipeer connectivity framework, the users phone connects to other phones in the local area to allow internet-less data communication. On this network, users can sell and buy items using the MarketMesh app and can sell their celleur internet to other people.
Items are bought and sold using preloaded currency, which is stored on a backend server.
Challenges we ran into
Some of the challenges we ran into included:
- Our Node.js server crashing randomly. The problem turned out to be caused by the SQL server disconnecting
- Everything with getting Apple's multipeer connectivity framework to work
- Build environment for iOS was slightly buggy as it was a new XCode beta and uses the Swift 2 compiler (which is still in beta as well)
Accomplishments that we are proud of
- Learning how to code a proper backend
- Being able to use a new and innovative feature (Mesh networking on iOS) to make something cool!
What we learned
- How to develop a simple backend in Node.js and Express js and deploy it on Heroku
- Simple SQL statements
- Drawing nice looking icons (using handwritten SVG)
- Working with mesh networks and how to debug them
What's next for MarketMesh
MarketMesh can be further developed to have proper polish and security for a mass-market release.