There are a lot of times in life where you are unsure of a document before you are about to submit it somewhere. A lot of people wish they could have someone proof-read texts for them as verification to get peace of mind - that's where our project comes in.
What it does
Mark My Words is a web extension that can take text as input and compare the words contained within against a list of undesirable words to highlight them to the user and suggest appropriate replacements. It uses different filters to flag words for different situations such as filters for work, education and personal documents.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
We tried to use Python and Flask to host a local server that the extension could send the requests to JSON file at a remote location, but due to time constraints decided to halt development and pursue locally integrated JSON for the demo.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
This is two of our member's first hackathon and they've done well to endure the long hours of hard work and pushing themselves to learn whatever is needed for the job regardless of the lack of sleep.
All three members come from different areas (one doesn't even study computing) and we've all managed to utilise our time efficiently and put our skills to use any way we can.
What we learned
What's next for Mark My Words
- Working out the final kinks to link everything together and allow for the integration of custom filters generated by users.
- Easy to use graphical user interface (GUI) to allow users to create and modify filters without technical knowledge.
- Checkbox options to turn filters on/off at an instance.
- Context-aware analysis of larger strings using Natural Language Processing for a deeper understanding to help prevent false positives.
- Statistic generation to help users improve in areas of their choice (e.g. using less slang, sensitivity training, etc.)
- Provide a mark between A-F within the add-on that informs users at a glance.
- An online hub for people to download other’s publicly uploaded filters, with a voting system to allow for the favourites to rise to the top.
- Automatically apply filters based on external factors such as geo location and time.