Nowadays, 8 in 10 Americans shop online. Not to mention more than 40% of online customers return their products. These activities all result in the damage of our precious environment. Online retailers will not explicitly reveal the carbon footprint of the product, but our chrome extension will. We want to make an extension that is simple and easy to use to analyse the sustainability index of the product people are buying.
What it does
Our Chrome extension analyses data given by online retailers and gives the sustainability index of the product out of 5. We want our product should be simple and easy to understand by the majority of the customer. Customers can click on further links to find more details if they wish.
How I built it
Our back-end team worked on analysing raw data from the webpages to create the sustainability matrix.
Challenges I ran into
- connecting front-end and back-end
- using new languages that front-end team has not used before.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- completed the 24 hours challenge without sleeping
- completing the back-end
- learning new skills
What I learned
- java script
What's next for Mapl.
- other analysis aspects on sustainability products
- collaboration with other major online retailers
- targeted advertisement of more sustainable alternatives for products that have lower than average rating
- smaller business will be able to contact us directly to analyse the sustainability of their online product