Inspiration

  • Main inspiration: Accessibility - to provide disabled people, especially the visually challenged, with the ability to be able to receive messages even with their impairment.
  • This is especially important in the learning environment in promoting academic success.
  • Prescriptions written by doctors can also be useful in this aspect, which has potential to help reduce walk-in waiting times.

What it does

  • In a nutshell, this app allows the user to take a snapshot of a particular image that contains text.
  • It then parses it to a string text file, which in turn would turn it to speech.
  • The app will have a collection of past images that have been converted to speech, for future reference.

How we built it

  1. We first built an interface, which includes a floating action button that allows the user to take a snapshot of the image which contains text.
  2. We then fed this image file to Microsoft Azure API to parse it into text file.
  3. This text file, we then fed this to the text-speech feature of the IBM-Watson to convert it into speech.

Challenges we ran into

  • APIs not working as expected
  • Low experience with the Android Studio IDE (at least for some of us)
  • Time constraints
  • Sleepless nights

Accomplishments that we're proud of

  • Learning
  • Networking
  • Fun times
  • Teamwork

What we learned

  • The use of APIs such as IBM-Watson and Microsoft Azure, including their features
  • The use several tools such as Java and Android Studio

What's next for ManuSpeech

  • Improving the UI
  • Making it compatible with accessibility hardware
  • Options to share text content

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates