In my free time I am always experimenting with new technologies and try to build something cool with them. Flutter is no exception. 2 years ago I built a simple demo with some particles rendering text. When I saw the puzzle challenge I decided to try and create a puzzle made of particles. Here is my initial attempt :)
What it does
My project is basically a copy of the SimplePuzzle, but the board is made of hundreds of simple particles that build up the tiles. Tile movement animation is the main focus of this project.
How I built it
- Created a new theme (MadParticles) based on the SimpleTheme
- Redesigned the layout - the tiles are not really separate. The board controls everything
- Tile border ordering and rendering
- Rendering of digits
- Click events & Shuffle binding
- Experiment with particle count, movement, etc.
Challenges I ran into
Rendering the digits was really tough - I wanted to capture the tiles of the simple puzzle on the fly, but since they are not rendered when MadParticles is active it was really tricky. At the end I just hardcoded the coordinates (which were generated from another playground project I did some time ago)
Accomplishments that I am proud of
- Made a working version
- I really like the animation effects
- The project is a cool base for further experiments (color effects, performance upgrades, etc.)
What I learned
I learned a lot of stuff like how to use the BLoC pattern, coding style guides, testing, i18n
What's next for MadParticles Puzzle
Playing around and testing stuff in my spare time.