After struggling to use ugly databases to find gene locations for certain diseases, we decided to create an easy to use version.

It allows the user to search for a genetic disorder. It then gives the scientific name of that disorder, a description, and a visual representation of the location on the genome.

We used a scraper in python to find the genes and their location. Then we used flask to connect the script to the webpage, which is hosted on a server in javascript. We made a model in blender to have a pleasing aesthetic.

In this hackathon, every team member decided to try new technology. Consequently, it was a journey for all of us.

Alex&David were working on parsing the data from genetic databases which are clearly not suitable for that. They encountered numerous errors, but in the end, they powered through, and achieved to create a wonderful final product.

Dima meanwhile was exploring the possibilities of Three.js; he started from scratch, and ended up designing the final website which works both on mobile and web, and contains 3d elements.

I believe that our biggest accomplishment was taking a non-user friendly technology and making it accessible to other people. Consequently, we made a first step at creating a platform which would encourage young generation to research a wonderful field of molecular genetics.

We learned how to communicate between different interfaces, scrape, model, pretty much everything in this project we had never done before.

We would like to make nicer animations and models, as well as broaden the scope of the platform. We want to make the platform more interactive as well. It is supposed to be a learning tool. Right now, it does that, but not as much as we would like. It should be able to teach youth about bioinformatics in a very easy to understand way, cutting down on the scientific jargon provided in NCBI.

Share this project:
×

Updates