I decided I wanted to design a video game for my Graphic Design class, and I haven't planned to develop it, but I took this opportunity to develop a prototype of the game. The topic that I chose is the cultural appropriation of Japanese anime and video games when they brought over to the US. A lot of the time, some things get lost in the localization, especially when there is censorship and edits done to completely remove content from the original.

What it does

It is a launcher game where the goal is to get as far as you can by hitting boosting items and avoiding obstacles. The game is over when the character is stopped. After launching, much of it is reliant on luck, but the user gets to boost the main character to save the main character from stopping.

How I built it

I built it through Unity and Unity C#.

Challenges I ran into

This was the first time building something on my own in Unity and my first time using C#, so I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how everything worked.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I'm happy that I got as far as I did. I wish that I had more time or finished faster to be able to add graphics instead of the current placeholders, but I am happy that I was able to learn so much and put together a game that works, though sometimes buggy.

What I learned

I learned more on how to use Unity and C#, almost from scratch. Adam from Microsoft, who taught the Unity workshop, was very helpful in teaching me the material and helping me with my project.

What's next for Localization Launcher

I need to hammer out the bugs with the launching part of the game, because sometimes the character gets launched backward. I also need to draw graphics to put in it. It is currently only using placeholder images and text. One big part of the game is supposed to be the background, which is one of the key points of communicating my topic.

Built With

Share this project: