We all wish we could speak more languages, but with our busy schedules and heavy coursework, there is little time to learn. We know many people have this problem, including those who move to different countries or need to learn another language to communicate. This led us to the idea of LinguisPics, which is an easy way to learn words & phrases in another language.

What it does

The user snaps (or uploads) a picture of the things they encounter in everyday life. This can be the desks in their classroom, the cars they notice on the street, or their favorite landmark. Our web app will take the photo, determine what objects it contains, and then translates them for the user. Even if they don't have time to sit down and teach themselves, they'll be able to pick up words and phrases by using this web app often.

How we built it

We used HTML, CSS, Javascript, Bootstrap, JQuery, & Ajax. We also used the Google Vision API as well as the Google translate API.

Challenges we ran into

Integrating the API's into our code was sometimes challenging, as none of us have a great deal of experience in web development. SInce we were new to the languages, we were unaware of some shortcuts and spent time doing extra work. For example, there was data we spent time parsing when we just needed to call an object. However, there were many mentors that led us in the right direction and helped us move along.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We were able to complete a working app. We also learned a lot in the process, and hope to continue to develop our product after the hackathon is finished. We could certainly see this being a useful tool for people in their everyday lives.

What's next for LinguisPics

A few things we hope to add on to LinguisPics include utilization of the Google Vision API's accuracy tool that enable us to know how accurate a descriptive word is. Also, we know that with more time we could include all of Google Translate's languages instead of just a few. We would like to allow real-time photos as opposed to uploading, as well as a more elaborate user interface.

Share this project: