The java portion of our video wouldn't export with the video, so here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Smt9Ipmb3X-FIp9gtmESUFlXCOTt9dK8/view?usp=sharing
Our hack is featured in the education track because education on proper LGBTQ+ terminology is not widespread. Older generations may use terms that are now considered derogatory, and many official language books do not recognize nonbinary pronouns. Our hack is intended to centralize the resources available on online, where much of this language and terminology develops, in order to help bridge this gap.
What it does
This hack is intended to facilitate cross-cultural, bilingual discussions of LGBTQ+ topics. Nonbinary pronouns and translations of modern LGBTQ+ topics are typically not well known or unrecognized as part of many languages. By providing a repository of and exercises featuring these words in a variety of languages, we hope to encourage conversations across an increased range of communities and generations, as well as increase acceptance and use of these terms globally.
How we built it
Our team used Figma and Java to design this hack.
Challenges we ran into
We spent a lot of time planning to ensure that we could code as efficiently as possible. One major obstacle we faced was choosing how to implement the hack in Java. We knew we didn’t have enough time to build a working model of the entire project, so we decided to leverage past knowledge and experience to flesh out the game portion as much as possible.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
All of it! The grind never stops
What we learned
While we all had experience in Java, various areas that we needed to design that game were unfamiliar to each of us, and we relied on each other to fill in our knowledge gaps. We wanted the program to be as simple and intuitive as possible. We decided to use large buttons and text, a cool color palette, and as little on screen text as possible to facilitate a smooth user experience.
What's next for LGBTranslate
We're not sure, but we're excited to find out!