Patients often do not understand the medical terminology that they see on their reports - therefore, it is difficult to make sense of it and apply it to their day-to-day life. This app will bridge this gap in this understanding, and help patients take on ownership of their bodies and increase awareness of any risk for diseases they may have.

What it does

The app takes in medical information from a picture (of the medical report), and translates that to an easy-to-understand Android interface. There is an interactive, 3-D model of the organ that is at risk, which allows patients to visualize where exactly the illness is taking place. Furthermore, the application defines the illness in colloquial terms, provides a list of symptom and diagnosis tools, as well as advice on how the patient can change his or her lifestyle to mitigate the possibility of at-risk diseases.

How we built it

We first sent images through Android with to the AWS server; then, we set the image to gray-scale using PIL library. Next, we used pytesseract to read the characters on the image. We scraped WebMD to search for specific key words and retrieved medical information that could be used to advise patients through the application. Finally, we developed the application front-end through Bulma, which renders a 3D image of the affected organ.

Challenges we ran into

Scraping WebMD, finding pertinent sample medical records and information online, centering divs, sleep deprivation

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Finished app on time

What we learned

Coding skills!

What's next for Lexiko


Share this project: