Inspiration

Wanted to do data science in a higher education context. LEO differs from conventional datasets for education and reveals many unique things about universities and the courses offered thereof, partly because it is an aggregation of tax data and student loan records with large(r) sample sizes. There also isn't any visualizaton tool for this dataset available despite its significance.

https://gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university

Also shout out to Dannie Rhodes and Adam who were also part of the team.

What it does

Generates a data visualization of the LEO dataset based on the user inputs (university name, course type, or a combination of the two).

How we built it

Frontend: Javascript (React) Backend: Python (Django) Libraries: Plotly, React Bootstrap, React Router

Challenges we ran into

Learning the technologies. 1/4 of us knew the technologies well enough, so a significant amount of time was spent learning the ropes of how to program in these languages/frameworks.

We tried to surreptitiously parse the csv client-side in order to avoid creating an entire back-end just for this purpose but this proved to be highly difficult and slow.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Building something that compiles and works in less than 24 hours.

What we learned

Jamie: How to deploy a REST API in Django. Jordan: ReactJS and Python

What's next for LEO Data Science

Improving the backend.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates