Progress Portal Page
Main page for the app
We aspire to be educated citizens about the world around us, especially about our country. In realizing our own shortcomings, we realized that other people are likely to not know the whole story as well. Thus, we desired to close this information gap on the wide variety of issues affecting the lives of Americans.
What it does
Learn with Awoo is an Alexa skill paired with a web app that teaches users about political issues. Users can track their progress in learning about issues in the Learn with Awoo Portal on the web application that tells them how well versed they are with various topics. Additionally, since we desire to enrich the lives of all Americans, Learn with Awoo is child-friendly and parent-approved. The website has a parent portal where they are able to limit topics that their children can learn. This in case the child is not ready to learn about such a topic yet, such as what is involved in an abortion.
How we built it
We used AWS to power an Alexa skill so that the user can easily learn in a streamlined, verbal fashion. The web application is a flask app that is hosted on Heroku. Most of the data was scraped from isidewith.com.
Challenges we ran into
- Lex not recognizing multiple word intents
- Weather allowing us to come to the hackathon in the first place
- Working across different python versions and operating systems (Mac, Windows, and Linux)
- Lex would not tell you what a word is a synonym of, even if you specified it
- finding the directory of a file to be able to load it dynamically
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- the layout
- 404 page
What we learned
- specified directory for a file in python
- Lex has a long way to go
What's next for Learn with Awoo
- access to live news feed about curious topics
- relations on topics to other countries (such as public transit in Japan)