Lacemaking was my inspiration since high school. There are also many interesting mathematical problems related to it.
- did you know that lacemakers from Vologda use Euler cycles to make lattices? To return to the same point where they've started.
- Want to make multicolor lace and want to see how it will look while making the pattern? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_consistency#Arc_consistency you'll surely have to deal with this!
What it does
For now it generates new pattern every time you refresh the page.
How I built it
We used procedural content generation algorithm.
Challenges I ran into
- it was fun to try something new - we haven't done anything related to procedural generation before
- it was extremely hard to pick the task which is solvable in 48 hours (especially without datasets!)
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
I've learnt about wave function collapse algorithm
What I learned
wave function collapse algorithm + and about crazy things from twitter, i.e. this one https://twitter.com/osksta/status/1147881669350891521
What's next for lacerator
- We plan to collect dataset with pattern fragments (vectorized)
- We also plan to improve current algorithm implementation, to be able to produce patterns for different types of bobbin laces;
- We want to make preview for multicolor patterns.
- Of course, there are different kinds of laces in different countries, some of them are too hard to implement)