Our friend recently became addicted to an online game called, "Guess My Word." Unfortunately, this website only provided one measly word to guess per day. Unsatisfied and desperate, our friend came to us to send her on a word guessing adventure. Our mobile game satisfies her desires for portability and "limitless" fun (*limits may apply).
What It Does
Our app references two text files: one with ~7,000 common words to randomly pick a target word from and another with ~80,000 words to validate guesses from. After guessing a word, the game will notify the player if the target word is before or after the player's word alphabetically. The goal is to guess the word in the least amount of tries possible (#binarysearch). If the player is frustrated and unable to guess the word, the player can give up and try again.
How We Built It
We used Java in Android Studio to create the frontend and backend. All graphics were drawn by hand.
Challenges We Ran Into
All the dictionary references we found had many arbitrary/excessive words. We wrote a java program to filter out the variations of words with suffixes like -s, -es, -ed, -er, -ness, -tion, -ly, etc. Even after filtering, we manually filtered portions of the list to limit redundancy.
Accomplishments That We're Proud Of
The game works :) We're super proud of our logo and graphics too!
What We Learned
We are both pretty novice at Android Studio, so we definitely gained some experience with GUI.
What's Next For KeyWord
Some features we could add are a timer to keep track of how long it takes the player to guess the word, selection of difficulty level, platform compatibility with iOS, multiplayer mode, and potentially, expansions to different languages.
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.