Jira Risk (Forge)
Manage risk in Jira using an app built with Forge.
Teams already track their work in Jira. They include information such as time estimates, the stage in the workflow, and priorities. Jira makes these easy to record with custom places to include the information. However, there's nowhere dedicated to tracking risk or mitigation techniques. Jira Risk gives users a dedicated place to record risk and incorporate it into their workflow.
Our target uses are release managers and people working in DevOps. Release managers can use Jira Risk to review risks, see which issues they should investigate, and check how risky each release is. When an incident happens, someone working in DevOps can use the risk details to identify possible explanations quickly. They can then use the risk details, and people involved to review and improve their development process.
Other apps approach tracking risk with a set matrix, but we want to give teams the flexibility to align on their own definitions of what constitutes a risky change.
What it does
- Issue glance: Enter how risky the change is and provide details to explain the risk and the mitigation tactics.
- Validator: Enforce the use of Jira Risk by adding a validator to the workflow that prevents an issue from transitioning without the risk level set.
How we built it
We used Forge to see how far we could get with the platform.
Challenges we ran into
Forge was easy and quite to build with, but its limited capabilities were challenging. We want:
- A project page module to show a report of risks.
- An entry point on the page for a version.
- A place in the project settings to enable users to disable it for projects that don't need to track risks.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
The app shares code with the Connect app we built. In particular, they share the same data keys, which lets us easily migrate the data between apps.
What we learned
Codegeist gave us a great opportunity to try creating our new Connect app with Forge.
What's next for Jira Risk
- List the Connect app on the Atlassian Marketplace.
- Provide documentation to help users get started.
- Monitor usage and feedback to help prioritize our backlog.
- Investigate migrating the Connect app to AWS Lambda.
- Continue developing the Forge app as the platform matures.