Inspired by the New York City GoGreen team
What it does:
- Classifies your recyclables by plastic/glass/cans/cardboard/compost/trash and sorts them to the specific category.
- A live tracker counts whatever is being "recycled"/uploaded
How we built it:
- Back-end: Django and Google Cloud Vision API
Challenges we ran into:
- API credentials
- Couldn't get the data using the API
- Tried various platform to implement machine learning, but we weren't able to implement it into our website.
Accomplishments that we're proud of:
- Implemented Machine Learning in our website
- Getting the API to work
What we learned:
- Learned to be more eco-friendly
- How to use Google Cloud API.
What's next for iRecycle:
- Use this technology in an actual garbage bin
- Using an Arduino or any hardware device to help sort the recyclables to their respective bins.
- Display the live tracker in the bin to encourage citizens to recycle their materials
- Use a camera in the bin to sort the materials
- Best Hack for Social Good
- Best NYC Hack
- Best Educational Hack
- Best use of Google Cloud