Inspiration

Dyslexia is a difficult word for a pretty common problem that can make life tough: reading and writing disabilities. It is estimated that between 10 and 20 percent of the population suffers from dyslexia, and according to _ l'association AlpeDys de Oran _ , more than 900 dyslexic children suffer from school failure annually. This amount may vary by country. And up to this point, it has been really time-consuming for schools to identify a child with dyslexia and subsequently giving them the proper help they need... And the results the non-awareness and not identifying dyslexic kids are majorly the negative social behaviors from parents, friends, teachers (Bullying) which leads to a family relationships problems in addition to building bad habits for the kid such as hating studies, getting isolated ... and more.

What it does

Iqraa is a rapid reading assessment that uses eye-tracking technology and artificial intelligence to determine overall reading ability, the risk for dyslexia, fluency level, comprehension level and recommendations for instruction. It only takes about two minutes to assess each child. In addition to that, it offers instructors a simple user-friendly dashboard to see meaningful indicators and statistics.

How we built it

Step 1: We analyzed the Hackathon theme / Step 2: We spoke ideas / Step 3: We choose the ONE / Step 4: We built a simple user-friendly User Experience for our MVP / Step 5: We built a robust backend using NodeJs / Step 6: We built an interactive frontend using ReactJS.

Challenges we ran into

The first challenge was finding a solution that is applicable, simple and realizable, we spent nearly four hours searching for available solutions, we end up finding a research article untitled *"Screening for Dyslexia Using Eye Tracking during Reading" *. The second challenge was developing the eye tracking feature, it only took us about two hours to realize that it's not a 36 hours job, so we decided to simulate only in our MVP. The third challenge was that we were unlucky in choosing the frontend framework, we started working with VueJS, hours after that we changed to ReactJS which was a waste of around four hours for the two frontend developers. The last challenge was that one member of the team had to leave and work on remote, so coordinating and staying up to date with him was a real challenge, that we conquered by using professional collaboration tools (Zeplin, Slack, Github).

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The team had a very beneficial spectrum of skills. The team believes the project couldn't have been completed if any of the members didn't engage fully into it. The learning curve was also challenging, but with enough time and focus, the team was able to learn the required skills at least to start this project.

What we learned

The team learned first how to be productive within a group, and how to brainstorm ! We also gained technical skills through the challenges we faced while working on the project.

What's next for Iqraa

The team really believes that there is a future for Iqraa, a future that we're willing to put on our time and energy to see it come true.

Share this project:
×

Updates