Student view - joining a room
Student view - students rate their understanding of the lecture, and they can ask questions as they come up.
Teacher live lecture view - teacher gets an overview of student understanding
Teacher question view - teacher is able to view all questions asked, and view keywords extracted from those questions.
Teacher dashboard - teacher can view graphs of overall student understanding in his/her lectures
Imagine this: You are in a physics lecture, and your professor introduces a new concept. You and your friends are completely lost. Being one of the 300 people in the lecture hall, you are hesitant to ask a question and risk sounding stupid.
Yet, in reality, everyone is confused — maybe your professor forgot to review a key concept.
As students, we often feel hesitant to ask questions in front of the entire class. However, many of these lingering questions are left unanswered although others may have the same questions. Intellecture solves this issue by facilitating lecture feedback in real time and allowing teachers to address topics that students are confused about.
What it does
Intellecture is an app that facilitates real-time communication between student and professor by letting students rate their understanding on a scale from 1-10 and ask questions anonymously regarding the lecture they are currently watching. Professors are able to see this feedback in real time through an aggregate student understanding rating and an understanding versus time graph. Hundreds of student questions are also consolidated into overarching keywords, allowing professor to see which topics require further explanation. They are then able to adjust their lecture accordingly to accommodate the needs of the students.
In summary, Intellecture does the following to solve these real-world issues:
- Consolidating lecture comprehension of hundreds of students into a single real-time score for a lecturer
- Combining the questions of hundreds of students into top keywords that a lecturer can easily digest and answer
- Providing statistics, data, and recommendations for lecturers to better understand their class and what they should do to improve comprehension
How we built it
We used Vue.js as our underlying framework, YubiKey to authenticate teacher login, and Agora.io to facilitate real-time messaging between teacher and student.
Challenges we ran into
There were a few challenges we ran into, both front-end and back-end. We spent a significant amount of time researching and trying to figure out how to implement Yubikey into our project and were finally able to do it in the last few hours of the hackathon. There were also issues that arose when optimizing for mobile.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Aggregate student understanding rating based on multiple real-time factors
- Real-time understanding graph
- Seamless and instant communication between teacher and student
- Question keyword analysis so lecturers can focus on appropriate topics
What we learned
We learned the about the necessary steps it takes to implement multiple APIs into a website
What's next for Intellecture
Intellecture features to come:
- expand from just high school and university lectures to workshops and workplace talks
- show correlation between understanding of the lecture and test scores
- take attendance
- check for understanding quiz
- make the UI even more accessible for students during lectures