Stroke of brilliance.

What it does

We wanted to make a nutrition app that allows users to keep track of their nutrition intake. We wanted to make the process as easy as possible. To do this we incorporated image processing and text-to-speech to recognize the foods and display the nutritional value of each food

How we built it

We built this project using Android Studio. We used USDA API to get the nutritional value of the foods we eat. We used various different technologies to have the user input the food they were eating so that we could output the nutritional value. We used the Facebook API to integrate easy login for users. We used Google Voice Recognition to recognize foods said by the user. We used Microsoft Azure to host our backend so that we could store the appropriate API keys for each food item. We also used Android MP Charts to create a visualization of the intake of food. Lastly we tried to integrate Microsoft optical vision to interpret images of the foods a user would eat to maximize ease of use.

Challenges we ran into

Since we had a large group, it was difficult to merge all of our individual parts to make the project whole. We spent a large amount of time ensuring that our projects were in sync without any loss of data. We also had trouble when managing the different APKs that the team used when developing their individual parts. Incorporating data transfer between numerous activities and fragments from different users.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

First and foremost we are proud to have made it through alive. We are very proud to have incorporated voice and image recognition despite not having experience with it in the past. Several of our group members were inexperienced with Android Development but were able to keep up with the fast workflow. We also were happy to have gotten much more experience safely syncing the different branches of our project in a limited amount of time with very limited experience doing so.

What we learned

We learned a great deal about working in a group to split the roles and merge the different project parts into a cohesive unit.

What's next for Intake

We hope to better incorporate the image processing of our project. We also hope to greatly expand our database using web scraping and scaling using Azure. With more time we also are sure that we could create a much cleaner interface for our project.

Built With

Share this project: