As an active Instagram user, I found it tedious to add the 'obvious' hash tags in the caption of every photo I post. This inspired me to create an app that would automatically generate the hash tags for me based on the image context. I also wanted a method of posting to Instagram through a different platform (not only restricted to my IPhone Instagram App).
What it does
InstaVision is a web application that allows users to upload a photo, automatically generate hash tags with the click of a button and post the photo to their Instagram account.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
- Debugging in PHP
- AJAX errors
- Uploading the image file: I initially uploaded the image directly to the server using the PHP command: move_uploaded_file, but in the end I resorted to uploading to Imgur due to various problems including read-only structure of Heroku.
- Deleting the image file from Imgur after posting to Instagram
- Handling and parsing the Computer Vision API JSON response
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Making use of the Microsoft Cognitive Services API
- Building the full web application alone in the limited time frame
What I learned
I learnt a lot about the Microsoft Cognitive Services and it's various APIs and how to utilise them in PHP. I also learnt how to handle file uploads and send requests to the API using AJAX.
What's next for InstaVision
- Add a new feature to allow users to 'choose' an accuracy level for the hash tag generation.
- Implement security using public key encryption for login details
- Implement validation checks and security for image uploads
- Improve usability and user-friendliness of the application