To address the current rise in mental health concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic, we created a web app that assists people with implementing positive habits that can improve mental health.
Our goal is to create a task manager that is user-friendly rather than the frequently-seen professional layouts. We also implemented a soft UI and fun customizable features that make the space less intimidating and more welcoming.
What it does
InGrain is a web app designed to motivate and encourage you to take safe steps with your mental health. Once a user signs up, he or she has a dashboard to create to-do's and view them in an organized fashion (organized by completion and date). Users also have the option to customize Toasty, our mascot, with adorable toppings using an intuitive interface on the right hand side of the dashboard.
How we built it
We used Flask, Python, and Firebase.
Challenges we ran into
- Integrating Flask and Firebase for authentication
- Making gifs and designs interactive in HTML/CSS
- getting windows to run flask properly :(
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Creating a (relatively) polished frontend design and translating that into HTML/CSS
- Authenticating user accounts with data verification for email and password
- Allow each user to customize their own toast
- Having the to-do actions functional
What we learned
- How datetime objects work with a database
- How to burn a toast
- commands in Windows PowerShell
What's next for InGrain
- Add a coin / reward system so that people can unlock even more toppings for their toast!
- Allow users to make collaborative to-dos