InCell VR (Game is now available on Steam)
Educational game for Virtual Reality about cell microworld in early development stage. This Jam is a great oppurtunity for our team (5 guys) to hack the development roadmap and meet real feedback from players and experienced judges.
- Controls - via head movement and touch panel on GearVR;
- Mechanics - basicly InCELL is our attemp to create RTS for VR, adaptation of Z (pronounced Zed) for the strategy part and exploration similar to Radial G at movement part;
- Innovation - CELL setting in the educational game, strategy mode for VR, assets and levels procedural generation and head movement only controls.
Follow us on http://incell.nivalvr.com
- 10 May 10.3 Download APK
- Strategy Gameplay
- 30 April 10.2 Be carefull, extremely first build. Download APK
- No strategy gameplay;
- Very long racing loading;
- Lags in racing on Adreno + Lollipop Note 4 version.
Strategy Video 1 https://youtu.be/MRU9MRDlE6E
Strategy Video 2 https://youtu.be/zqS4kfZj_Oo
Movement Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P05DJAZkvEM
InCell is an educational game with strategy and racing elements designed for VR devices.
The player will experience an exciting journey into patients's cell to observe a fascinating microworld of human body and fight in never-ending war against destructive viruses.
The future is nigh. The humanity is standing upon the brink of a new era where modern healthcare makes tremendous scientific advancements. With the help of nanotechnologies a surgical prototype bathyscaphe allows its operator to shrink to a microlevel and travel inside the patient's body.
Why we are doing it?
We at Nival VR are working on opening new ways for education - via Virtual Reality games. We believe that games are a perfect tool to share curiosity between millions of people. If you enjoyed our free InMind project and wish to help this future of education to come true - help us make our next big game InCELL better and together we'll make games more than just entertainment! Check out this very inspirational talk about cells visualising for Harvard University http://go.ted.com/br8c.
Who we are?
NivalVR is a small team from Moscow/Florida. We are 5 guys working as small independent subunit of the big well known company Nival, which is extremely experienced in RTS genre.
Our technics (hope it will be useful for you)
Fake blending (avoiding expensive alpha test/alpha blend on mobile GPU)
Blending object with Cubemap (sky)
- Doesn't blend with backbuffer (fast)
- Very few additional instructions in shader
- Additional fog layer possible (opaque -> fog -> skycube)
- No sorting required (because not possible)
- Very similar to alpha blending giving smooth results
- Cubemap can be reused for specular reflections in same shader
- Simple to setup and configure Cons:
- Sorting not possible (objects look translucent but can't see through them)
- Looks convincing only if geometry doesn't overlap or objects appear fast enough for the user not to notice
float3 color = LightUp();
float3 fog = texCUBE(_SkyBox, eye).rgb;
color = lerp(color, fog, linz);
Geomentry generation (via Houdini & Unity)
Initial geometry from where modelling starts
Geometry is deformed to give first basic appearance
Details and light added
Additional details and UV mapping
Simplified ingame geometry (1.5K tris vs 35K tris)
Normalmap baking from high-poly version
Color baking as point color of high-poly version
Final result (ingame)
More step by step