Political activism begins with the desire to change. However, it is difficult to know what needs to be changed when we are unaware of what is going on around us.
What it does
In The Know is a service that aggregates news information and presents it to our subscribers in an easily digestable format.
How we built it
Using Microsoft Azure, we are able to create a backend service that scrapes sites for news and compiles them into a succinct newsletter. A companion iOS app was also developed to further immerse subscribers into the state of the world around them. All of this could be obtained by registering via our subscription form at www.intheknow.tech.
Challenges we ran into
Figuring out news sources was paramount to our success. In a world of misinformation it is easy to accidentally feed our readers the wrong facts. We needed to find a way to reliably deliver quality content.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We were able to build a fully automated backend that scrapes for the information we need.
What we learned
Delivering news is a tricky business and there are many factors we need to "hook" our audience.
What's next for In The Know
- Full integration with Twitter (our internal keywords system will bring up suggested tweets at the time of the news event).
- Upgraded backend (a backend that can handle more than web scraping and subscription requests).
- Android support (because we're missing out on half of the mobile world).
- Personalized feeds (we will get to know what you like and what could interest you).
- An unsubscribe button (we know we can improve and hopefully our readers could help us).
- Voter/Activism support (support local and global elections and events).