Inspiration - Stacking the tech tree of Impact DAOs*
This project has sparked from Kevin Owocki's call for ImpactDAO Cartographers. All of us are contributors to public goods DAOs (see attached pictures). Carl and Sid also happen to be community members of 1729.com where we share similar values in terms of mapping fundamental challenges of humanity to improve the state of truth, health, and wealth in our communities. This has been covered in a previous work by Sid on CommonsWTH.Ale Borda has been mapping the ImpactDAO space since October enabling synergies and collaborations between these. But mapping is just the first step, the real impact of this work is to grow the collaborative spirit of web3 and make sure we are converging towards best strategies, focusing our energy in most impactful approaches and for projects to find each other and take advantage of composability and modularity.
DAOs are operating in siloes, unknowingly facing similar bottlenecks. Wheels are being constantly reinvented and knowledge is not effectively shared.
Most importantly, many are unaware of the regenerative side of web3! Let's create the space for all of us to co-create; where global changemakers are inspired to leverage web3 for good. A shelling point where ImpactDAOs can find each other and for talent to find their home to build towards thriving societies as we continue to experiment how we might best coordinate to solve real global issues.
We’ve been endlessly throwing money and technology innovation into broken systems—into the most obvious symptoms without exploring the underlying factors that create those symptoms in the first place. Let’s not commit the same mistake of mindlessly throwing DAOs and web3 at every issue.
With so much energy and resources going into web3 how do we make sure these are spent on the most impactful work? Are the tools, and systems we are building actually moving us closer to our solar punk/regenerative future?
Web3 is at a crossroads- it can either breakthrough and have a massive impact on society or succumb to the pitfalls of discoordination and poor resource allocation. While networks are still small and in exploration, we need to plant the seeds for organic collaboration that can be carried forward as it scales. A mycelium type network where individual project enables greater value for all as we leverage our collective leadership, money and talent towards a shared purpose.
Web3 can have massive impact on society or succumb to the pitfalls of discoordination and poor resource allocation. While networks are still small and in exploration, we need to plant the seeds for organic collaboration that can be carried forward as it scales. A mycelium type network where individual project enables greater value for all as we leverage our collective leadership, money and talent towards a shared purpose.
We need a connective tissue, an ImpactDAO hub to where projects find each other, to connect how individual efforts unlock key pieces of the broader societal shift, to share high-value composable frameworks or web3 primitives others can leverage to supercharge their impact. This is why Impact Cartographers are so needed in this space and why we are building the Impact Cartographer Coalition.
And we invite everyone to join and play the game, to drive a high mimetic power that rallies the community to support and build high impact public goods.
What it does
Maps out the interconnectedness among ImpactDAOs solving for different public goods. Read this for more details!
The results from an ImpactDAO survey can be found here
It is a tech tree of public goods contributions. The next layer will be building a vision for Regenerative Impact Economies and reverse engineering what are the key stepping stones towards this vision and who are the specific projects enabling such vision if there are gaps we accelerate innovation in such space. Regeneration here refers to all forms of capital ad aspects of a thriving life. To get to this, impactDAOs must be able to focus on their key efforts and strengths hence why creating a values-aligned ecosystem where some DAOs act as infrastructure while others as enablers and finally as impact pioneers enable ImpactDAOs to be connected to this mesh of DAOs deeply knowledgeable on each topic and stack capabilities, eg. tokenomics, biodiversity restoration, governance, coordination tools, design, communication, knowledge graphs, etc. This infrastructure layer DAOs are able to bring value to the collective vision.
How we built it
Python, Plotly Dash/Cytoscape, Tweepy (Twitter API), Heroku for hosting.
Challenges we ran into
One of our member's keyboards broke in a surfing beach town in Peru some travel was involved in fixing it. Coordinating across three countries in an extremely time-strapped event :D
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Scrambling over a weekend amongst so many other things that distracted us from this.
What we learned
Mapping is important to help direct attention to the trees in the forest.
What's next for ImpactDAOs Map
This is bound to change, we have now mapped 185 ImpactDAOs and want everyone to learn about them. This is a call to action for all changemakers to shape the Schelling Point of ImpactDAOs ecosystem through serendipitous ideas and collaborations to grow the positive change web3 can achieve in the world.
- ImpactDAO hub where we share tangible impact web3 can create in the world, for ImpactDAOs to find each other, as a Schelling point for incoming talent and to inspire change-makers to join us in designing regenerative systems.
- Nurture the Ecosystem to understand the most impactful web3 building blocks and strategies projects can leverage. Measuring project outcomes and increase of impact by additional efforts enable informed decisions on where to allocate energy and money or identify gaps to accelerate change in unmet impact areas.
- An Ecosystem grounded in collaboration weaving resilient impact networks to enable synergies, cross-pollinate ideas, prevent duplicate efforts, share talent and resources. If we can identify common bottlenecks, projects can fund a shared research/product enabling rippling effects for the rest of the ecosystem.
- Internal Coordination— We can't achieve effective D2D collaboration until we achieve internal cohesion. We will automate internal flows and organizational designs that nurture humane and flourishing mechanisms so ImpactDAOs can focus on their best work
- Stacking ImpactDAOs — Cartographers are nodes, conveners, strategic friends that enable collaboration, gather and share most valuable insights, and instigate higher interconnectedness of DAOs towards a healthy growth of the ecosystem. Network leaders who deeply care about collective change.
- Collectively Design the Future → Now we have a thorough map of positive web3 tools. We take a step back. We leave all of our stories and biases behind and collectively design the future.
- Incubate visions → we understand how ImpactDAOs play a key role towards the regenerative vision or where should innovation occur. These conversations include everyone’s voices and in distributed groups most knowledgeable about their own community. We can design ideas, launch into impact networks, iterate and implement while building a playbook other ImpactDAOs can fork. This builds a compassable, always improving bold solutions implemented across connected networks.
This project is partly inspired by Kevin Owocki’s initial post on the Gitcoin governance forum and acknowledged as part of the few projects that were proposed. The ideas were discussed and is actively being worked on in the shared Telegram group for all these projects as part of the collaborative spirit this idea is rooted in.
Read this article for more details!