Inspiration

We came to Mhacks as a team to compete, have fun, and learn. Our team has two experienced hackers and two new hackers. Our two experienced hackers wanted to teach our new hackers new things but learning is always the best with fun so we let them decide on the project. They wanted to do something very challenging, fun, and has a good learning curve.

What it does

The IC9000 takes orders via the Amazon Echo and creates ice cream. The point is get everything together and mix it, push notifications will be sent when it is finished. We also included sensors to make sure it dosen't melt.

How we built it

We build the hardware on the raspberry pi, the project is made from cardboard and Styrofoam. We have two sensors, 3 servos, and an electrical pump. We used AWS lamda function to communicate between the Alexa and we also used Amazon sns for notification, we used adfruit feeds for temperature and humidity sensors. This is run online via a python script.

Challenges we ran into

We ran into challenges when sending commands to the raspberry pi from the echo. The wifi connection for the raspberry pi is really weak and it dosen't support the full extent of our project. Another major issue we ran into was servo synchronization, we wanted everything to be deployed at the same time.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Our team really blended well together, we were able to teach each other a lot of things, we had fun, and we got the amazon echo to work which was the coolest thing.

What we learned

Everyone on our team has formed a better understanding of the lamda function and the amazon echo in general. We also understood the and created an app that will carry the python script through different databases, feeds, and servers.

What's next for Ice cream maker 9000

We hope to make a delivery platform, currently you have to scoop up the ice cream yourself but we hope to make it self sufficient. we also hope to have a better system design overall. Our design criteria was to be efficient, cheap, and functional.

Share this project:
×

Updates