The idea originally sparked from health class. We learned something called 4-7-8 breathing and I was fascinated by the effects of it. Then the theme for the hackathon was released, and was the perfect opportunity to integrate 4-7-8 breathing. While we started with just 4-7-8 breathing, we developed it into a complex, technological app for Android that provides support for students and other people struggling with their mental health.

There are 7 total functionalities. One: An e-mail sign in functionality that saves the user's data on the app to make for a better experience. Two: A mood tracker that prompts the user's mood after each log-in, and diverts the user to support hotlines if enough bad moods are reported in a row and over a long period of time. Three: A 4-7-8 breathing functionality that has a start and reset button. When start is pressed, a timer starts counting up to 19. At 4, 7, and 8 second intervals, the app sends the user a message with instructions "Breathe in," "Hold your breath," and "Exhale slowly." When reset is pressed, the timer stops and goes back to 0. Four: The about section is a link to a custom made website made by one of our group members that tells the user all about depression, anxiety, and breathing. Five: The Support button takes the user to a screen with three essential hotlines for anxiety, depression, and suicide. Six: The Meditation button takes the user to an option of 2 videos with peaceful instruction for meditation, designed as another method that can help users relax. Seven: A chat screen with alternating gradient colors with anonymous community messaging.

We used android studio for the UI and java of the app. We used google cloud for the backend. We used javascript, css, html, and jquery for the custom built website.

We ran into problems with errors in the UI and firebase sections that were difficult, and had to debug for about 2 hours until it was all fixed.

We are proud of building a complex and technological app that went through many ups and downs, yet we fixed nearly all errors that we ran into.

We learned not to use floobits to sync us working on the project together, not to edit anything in the build folder, and to be more specific when naming variables and classes.

We will continue to work on the UI errors and making the project look generally better. Also, we could optimize the app by removing unnecessary code and making code more efficient.

Share this project:

Updates