Inspiration

In recent years, we have seen a rise in popularity in Augmented Reality Games- games that incorporate aspects of real life into their functionality. Games such as Pokemon Go and Ingress, which merge game aspects with travelling around the real world to complete tasks, bring users a new gaming experience that involves seeing the world around them in a new and unique way.

In addition to this, there has also been a significant rise in popularity of Battle Royale type games and media, such as Fortnite, Apex Legends, and the Hunger Games. In our project, we have decided to merge our favourite aspects of both AR games and Battle Royales to make a web application that challenges the current state of gaming.

What it does

By grabbing GPS location data, our web application connects users on a map in a limited area. Once connected, users are assigned a "target" to hunt, whose broad location is displayed on the map. Players are also being hunted by a different user, who they must avoid while staying in a set radius of the map such that they do not stray too far from the designated game area. Once the game is down to two players, the player with the most health wins, and if health is equal, the win is assigned to the player with the highest hunt count.

How we built it

The base languages used for the program were javascript, featuring node.js and socket.io, as well as HTML and CSS in order to implement the UI. Our program incorporated the Google Cloud Platform in order to implement the server, the map functionality, and collect the GPS location data. We registered two domains with domain.com: huntroyale.com and cuslacking.com which works as a redirect to the former, in order to host our web application.

Challenges we ran into

Learning the functionality of the Google API was challenging at first, especially tackling the issue of requiring https to collect and send GPS data. We also ran into some issues with GitHub and merging code that set us back some extra time, requiring us to revert to previous versions of the program.

Near the end of development at cuHacking, we had some issues getting the code to work properly on mobile devices, specifically iPhones, which seem to have some issue with recognizing the text boxes.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Tess: The accomplishment that I was most proud of was my work on the UI. Going into cuHacking, I had extremely little experience working with HTML and CSS. Although the UI is quite simple and still has room for improvement, I'm quite satisfied with how far it's come considering the time limit.

Aidan: I was extremely proud of the fact that our program was able to maintain and synchronize multiple connections with clients in real time. Although this was a challenge at first, the fact that we pulled it off in such a short amount of time was astounding.

Benjamin: One of the things I was most proud of was watching as our ability to work as a team and collaborate improved over the course of cuHacking. We went from being a team that had never developed a project together to being able to easily delegate tasks and eventually reach a seamless level of trust and communication with one another.

Christian: The accomplishment that I felt was most impressive was the fact that we went into this weekend with no knowledge of the Google Maps API, and were able to learn and implement it by the deadline.

What we learned

As a team we can all agree that cuHacking was an all around learning experience that resulting in growth for all team members in multiple areas. Some examples of these include learning to use novel software such as the Google Maps API and the socket.io package.

Furthermore, our team grew in our collaboration skills and our ability to effectively communicate with one another. Although the software we learned was valuable and will definitely be helpful for later projects and further iterations of this project, the teamwork skills we gained were easily the greatest learning opportunity that Hunt Royale and cuHacking provided us

What's next for Hunt Royale

One feature that was implemented at the start but never made it to final development was the ability to shrink the Hunt Zone circle area over time, forcing users closer together as time went on to avoid a standstill with users hiding on opposite sides of the map. In addition to implementing this, we'd also hope to improve the design of the map in order to grey our areas that are not in the Hunt Zone.

Additionally, with more time and access to better resources, we'd hope to optimize many features of this app, such as more accurate tracking of user location.

Share this project:
×

Updates