Entering a purchase
Error message when no budget is entered
Error for when float or int type is not entered for price or when any of the fields are left blank
Click back button to return to home screen
Date tracker screen
Enter arrival date
Error message for date entered incorrectly
Online shopping in the comfort of your home is becoming more popular than ever but it can be hard to monitor when your packages are expected to arrive and whether you've gone over your budget for the month.
What it does
That's where we come in! Our app allows users to set a spending limit, record items they have bought and warns them when they have exceeded their budget. The app also indicates when items are due to arrive.
How we built it
We used Java (on Netbeans) to create this program and used GUI to make it resemble an app.
Challenges we ran into
- Could not get text fields to compare to each other to see if the budget was crossed. Eventually figured out how to convert GUI text field data (which was given as strings) to the type double so that the prices could be added
- Days left until arrival was difficult to add. Had to learn how to import libraries and classes.
- Originally, we were planning on adding a calendar so that when a certain date was clicked on, it would show the items due to arrive on that date. Instead, we used a text format to display the time left until the order would arrive.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Using Figma to create the logo
- Improving on existing knowledge of GUI
- Starting from scratch and creating a program in 24 hours
- Being able to create a program that could be of use to the public
What we learned
- How to use Jtables (ie. formatting, retrieving data, inputting data)
- How to work with dates (ie. find current date, find number of days between two dates)
- How to use Figma to create logos
- Overall we just got more experience using java and object-oriented programming, particularly GUI
- learned how to use GitHub to track progress in code
What's next for Home Shopper
- Create built-in calendar that syncs with the expected dates of arrival to give the user reminders as the date approaches
- Sort purchases by price or date
- Give customers quick access to privacy and return policies
- Be able to compare prices with different online providers when given catalogs to ensure that our customers can get the best deals