Through our first semester of college so far, we've noticed that lectures can not only be vague, but also boring. The most effective way that we used to keep our retention through these tedious lectures was writing notes from scratch. However, these notes would take hours to write and put together. Because of this, we decided to put together HiveMind, a project that allows you to link terms and explanations using VR for interactions.

What it does

HiveMind takes in simple terms and allows users to input plain text links and explanations in a neat format. Once provided with this data, HiveMind processes it in Python. This is then used in Unity to create 3-D hexagonal figures that have parents and children. Each of these figures can be interacted with, and when prompted, offers data in terms of links to other terms visually.

Challenges I ran into

Sleep deprivation.

Besides that, there were a lot of small issues that we could have tested tediously throughout. These often created larger problems, but for the most part, we were able to take care of the small issues. We also had difficulty using Unity because none of our team members were strong with C#.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Regardless of the issues we may have run into, we were all very proud that we were able to create a final product that was very similar to what we had imagined.

What I learned

Time management is key!

What's next for HiveMind

We will be pushing updates to improve HiveMind, and we will try to create a 2-D web version for it to be accessible to anyone with access to the internet.

Share this project: