During COVID-19, it's hard to meet other people. Due to the frustration and ongoing boredom people may face, our group have decided to create a web application for people from all around the world to chat and make new friends!
What it does
It allows users to chat with strangers in a global chat room while looking at their locations.
How we built it
We used Socket.io to support real-time position changes and incoming chats. We used React.js for frontend, express.js for backend and MongoDB as database.
Challenges we ran into
- Integrating the Google Maps API into our website
- Using socket.io for the first time
Accomplishments that we are proud of
- Managed to build a working product despite the time constraints
What we learned
- How to build a real-time chat based application using MERN stack with the help of Socket.io
What's next for Hello World
- Introducing room chats to complement the global chat
- Including hidden puzzles and clues throughout the map and chat rooms to entertain the users