To break the language barrier and let people with similar interests from any part of the world communicate with each other.
What it does
- Allows users all over the world to chat with users with similar interests without knowing the other person's language.
- Its easier to make friends and professional connections for guidance or experience sharing.
- Real time translation and sending of messages without any delays makes it seamless and the user feels like he/she is talking to someone who speaks the same language.
How we built it
- Google Cloud Machine Learning Translation API for real time translation of each message instantly
- Google App Engine for hosting the server
- Google Cloud Datastore API for storing user profile
- Android Studio for building the client facing app
- Firebase Realtime Database to sync messages between devices and server
Challenges we ran into
- Using Google Cloud stack for the first time.
- Managing order of messages between server and multiple clients.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We were able to build and deploy a chat application in less than 36 hours.
- We successfully utilized new technologies and services that we had never used before for our ideas.
- We were able to contribute to the society by an attempt to bring people closer to each other beyond languages, countries or continents. Just passion and interests!
What we learned
- Developing scalable apps in the Google Cloud Tech Stack.
- Handling message ordering in a client server chat system.
- Using machine learning APIs for improving the user experience.
What's next for Hello World
- Deploying soon on the Google Play Store and hopefully an iOS app soon!