Inspiration

We saw the multitude of records that IMO held in their databases and the first thing that came to mind was how tough it must be to keep track of all those diseases. We were aware of the growing use of tablets in hospitals so we took advantage of SceneKit in XCode and started an endeavor to create a visualization of the body. The key points were that it would help keep patients organized, help identify broad spectrum injuries and diseases, and a clear view of where each symptom had affected the body.

What it does

The first view the doctor will see is a list of patients that they have. They will be able to choose a patient and see a model of the human body come up, highlighting in red the areas that are affected. They can then click on the areas and see the diagnoses, the initial reason, the date for the visit, and etc.

We also have implemented a web form that allows patients/doctors to input new symptoms and new users to the database, backed by firebase. This will allow for realtime updates of the list of patients.

How we built it

For the iPad app, we used Swift, Xcode, and SceneKit. The website was primarily built with HTML, CSS3, JavaScript, and JQuery. The backend is handled through Firebase and through the use of JSON files.

Challenges we ran into

No one on our team was familiar with Firebase so we definitely struggled with figuring that out. 10 hours and 1000's of lines of code later, we figured it out!

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The iPad UI looks more stunning than we initially thought possible. And beyond that in the past few Hackathons, we've given up on ideas too early and have underestimated our abilities. This time we found something we were truly motivated by and have given our best to finish the product.

What we learned

We learned how to deal with firebase, a very useful tool for later projects. We learned proper teamwork techniques by using git. And finally, we learned that saving frequently can save hours of frustrations.

What's next for HealthView

We hope to keep improving the iPad app to add more body parts, to add a female model, and to clean up the existing model. We also hope to connect to IMO's api to give us a wider range of information. As for the website, we hope to find a cleaner format and a more efficient way to connect to firebase.

Share this project:
×

Updates