Inspired by the strict gathering pax limit implemented during COVID times where 3 or more was considered a crowd, we intend to create a multiplayer game that allows people to have fun competing with one another even if they are not allowed to meet physically.
You can play it with your friends over zoom!
🔍 What it does
It is a strategic online multiplayer game where you and your friend compete to harvest the most amount of crops using a shared plot of land. Carefully plan where to grow your crops and take out your opponent with a few smartly placed sabotages.
The objective of the game is to reach a thousand points before your opponent!
🔧 How we built it
- We started with ideation, coming up with various game ideas before settling on this strategy game. We deliberated the game mechanics and made sure to balance the game as much as we could.
- We then needed to build up the basics of the game, including the board and the controls
- Unfortunately, while attempting to integrate sockets, there were a number of issues with hosting that made testing difficult
🏃♂️ Challenges we ran into
- It was our first time developing such a board game style of gameplay
- Socket.io was new and intimidating, and none of us had any experience using it prior to this hackathon. It proved to be quite a challenge to understand, and too much to integrate to our existing game in such a short amount of time.
- Working with new html elements and learning to use a new method of rendering for web games
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Developing a new game from scratch, and considering what can be done to ensure the game is balanced and challenging enough to engage the players
- Implementing the game board using divs rather than relying on the canvas
🧠 What we learned
- The complexity of using Socket.io for a multiplayer game using different devices.
- Game design and planning, as well as the design of the level aesthetic and game assets
⏭️ What's next for Harvest Battle
- Adding a larger board to accommodate more strategic moves
- Addition of more power-ups or opportunities for players to turn the tide of the game
- Implementing Socket.io into the game to allow multiplayer features using separate devices.