For this project, we challenged ourselves to design a product that is more creative and unique than anything we have created in the past. We were initially inspired by the use of gamification in productivity-based apps, and originally planned on implementing a website that would reward good work flow through an in-game currency. However, we were also inspired by AGILE practices and Trello in particular to shift the focus from competition to collaboration as a driving factor of productivity. as Apps like the Forest app also inspired us to produce a way to visualise your progress cooperatively, only through the auditory sense.
What it does
This project is a power-up for Trello that is meant to introduce gamification elements that are automatic and do not require manual input. It tracks how many cards total exist within a board, as well as how many cards are specifically in a list titled ‘Done’ (with correct casing). It uses an auditory representation of progress by laying out instrumental loops one-by one to create a lo-fi track, which can also be used as studying music. This is accompanied by a harmonise button which was originally designed in hopes to represent the progress of each member visually through alien characters. Other additional features include a pause/play button and a tutorial upon activating the power-up.
Order and milestones in which instruments were added:
[0%, 5%): Ambience (rain)
[5%, 15%): +Keyboard
[15%, 25%): +Synths
[25%, 40%): +Bass
[40%, 60%): +Trumpets
[60%, 80%): +Guitar
[80%, 100%): +Vocals
How we built it
- Glitch: code editing and web hosting
- Trello: in-built userbase, power-up functionality and API
Challenges we ran into
Trello documentation and starter files provided to create a custom power-up were not very easy to understand. Hence a lot of time provided was dedicated to experimenting with Trello features and other existing power-ups.
Due to the short time frame provided we were not able to fully implement all the features as we would have liked. For example, rather than just the music updating with milestones we struggled to toggle the visibility of the aliens that are shown in the “harmonise” button based on the same milestones.
All guides available displayed how to create a power-up through the use of “glitch” and hence it was difficult to set up a github repository that could track contributions. Hence this led us to do the entire project on glitch.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Creating a power-up for Trello that can play/pause audio, We did not manage to find any available power-ups that contain similar functionality
- Getting the power-up to function properly without relying on hard coding
What we learned
We also learnt how to adapt our ideas and plans based on new information and suggestions from more experienced developers. Our original idea involved creating our own website but after being introduced to the existence of Trello Power Up APIs by a mentor, the team decided it would better align with our goals and what we wanted our product to achieve by changing how we planned to implement our project.
What's next for Harmonise
The main goal of Harmonise is to make workflow platforms more engaging. By being an addon for Trello, we made it very accessible to workers due to the popularity of Trello by firms. Hence, we plan to further develop Harmonise as a Trello Power Up. However, we plan to change the idea of unlocking unchangeable preset layers of music for a single loop to unlocking instruments with virtual currency unlocked by users who complete their personal tasks on time or faster. Users will then be able to choose from a much larger variety of layers of music to mix and match their own ambient song to use for their own work environment. This gives users a greater amount of customizability and engagement. We also plan to make it more social by introducing features such as account avatars and being also to share songs with friends as well as the Harmonise community.
Github link has only been provided for convenience, version history is all on glitch as we were told we were allowed to use it.