Inspiration

We each have family members who are debilitated in some way. Unfortunately, instructions to wheelchair or handicap accessible locations are often sparse, leading to unnecessarily complicated attempts to park vehicles and often dangerous trips through parking lots. Even after making it to a building, there are difficulties with stairs and not necessarily very clear directions to elevators, especially in larger, more crowded buildings. We have each had to help family members with such scenarios, often "scouting ahead" of family members to find the best path.

What it does

Handiapp attempts to mitigate some of these problems by highlighting the region in which travel for a disabled user is more viable, pointing to elevators, ramps, restrooms, and more. In the event of an emergency, it will even permit a user to send a down-to-the-meter location to SafeTrek to contact emergency services.

How we built it

The app is primarily built with Android Studio using the Google Maps API and SafeTrek API.

Challenges we ran into

Every step of the way, we definitely hit a snag or two. We dug into documentation, some StackOverflow posts, and more to understand what we were doing and ensure we understood how it worked.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Pulling the data from a set of data, then applying it to a map, was a pretty proud accomplishment for us. Learning how to utilize APIs in our code was also pretty neat.

What we learned

We learned quite a bit about Android development and version control with git, even if it was a bit messy. We learned about interacting with some different APIs as well.

What's next for Handiapp

We would like to add some sort of culling to mitigate the number of markers that are created at a given point at a given zoom level. Further, automoderation and publishing of labels would be nice. It was a first actual Android app for some of us, so it's a bit messy. Code cleanup is a necessity.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates