Crowd Sourcing Humanitarian Relief
Hand in Hand is a platform that connects individuals directly to relief organizations with maximum transparency
With the decrease in government aid, more and more people rely on donations after a natural disaster strikes. However, people often donate items that are not needed, which creates more logisitcal challenges and delay in aid.
Our platform solves this problem with transparency by combining registries with relief organizations. Anyone who visits the site can pick a specific site and see the items most needed by the victims. They can choose to contribute online through Amazon Smiles or monetary donation; or they can donate items locally to their nearest relief organization site.
The following required functionality is completed:
- [X] User can view current disasters as pins on a globe
- [X] User can select a pin/location to contribute
- [X] User can select item or monetary donation
The following optional features are implemented:
- [ ] Individual Profiles for Donors and Relief Organizations
- [ ] Live tracking of relief funds/items to actual site of disaster
Challenges encountered while building the app.
- filtering data to include relevant natural disasters around the globe
- difficult to query the natural disaster data after appending to the map
- got suspended on the arcgis website without warning and had to remake our webmap from scratch
- difficult to find disaster data with latitude/longitudes
- difficult to find disaster data that included impact radius or number of people affected
API, Libraries, etc.
- ArcGIS https://developers.arcgis.com/
- FEMA Disaster Declarations Summaries