Emote is an Alexa Skill created for the Amazon Echo.
- To help people manage their emotions
- Especially geared towards young children with developmental disabilities such as Autism, Asperger's, anxiety, or anger management problems
- They might find it easier to talk to Alexa, not a real person
- Other people tend to have emotional responses that can aggravate or intensify a child’s response to a situation. * Alexa’s calm and consistent demeanor doesn’t fluctuate or get tired.
- Tell Alexa: “I am feeling _____”
- Alexa responds with suggestions of how to manage that emotion
- There will be multiple steps to the interaction
- Suggestions range from playing music from Spotify to walking user through a countdown exercise.
Problems We Encountered
- New technology
- Amazon Echo is only 2 years old
- Limited resources
- Ability to maintain the connection, it doesn’t just close after 1 interaction
- Multiple-step interactions are in Beta testing, so implementing them is buggy and without much information for issues.
- Fully implement and expand
- Add more depth to every emotion
- Connect other Alexa skills within this skill: Starting an alarm, accessing a To-Do list, ordering pizza.
- Once Alexa matures, improve the start of the skill for better fluidity and natural speech patterns