Our project used java (and R) to build an app for users to search wheelchair-accessible zones worldwide. Using user-inputted data, users can report accessibility issues in their region, thereby harnessing the power of crowdsourcing. We were inspired to work on this particular project because, we have seen how important accessibility is. Quince drew upon his friend’s real-life experience in handling and navigating various accessibility issues, which we subsequently addressed in our app today!

What it does

Allows users to search accessible spaces, provide and use crowdsourced information on accessibility features (ie wheelchair ramp, suitable elevator, washrooms...)

How we built it

We used android studios with google maps API to develop this amazing app! Jasmine learned how to use the slack API to generate posts to an #accessibility slack channel. the goal is to notify users subscribed to this channel about accessibility updates in their region, using GPS data.

Challenges we ran into

  • Quince powered through issues with merging in github.
  • We worked together to try to understand different languages.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

  • we all learned a bit from each other, learning both some R and java today!
  • working together collaboratively

What we learned

  • Teamwork
  • Importance of regular updates and communication
  • We all learned a bit of a new language, which is always exciting!

What's next for hackcessibility

  • Merge the crowdsourced location data (crowdsourced info in Java android app) to slack messenger to notify users of new accessibility issues in their region. This can allow users to be informed of important issues, without clogging their phone with another app.

Built With

Share this project: