- In many arid areas in sub saharan africa water is not distributed fairly and no data is collected to enable statistical analysis and optimization of a rare resource.
- This solution was built to solve this issue while at the same time having fun learning a new technology.
What it does
- The aim of this project is to enable management of fair and equal distribution of water in arid areas.
- The use of technology enables data collection, statistical analysis and optimization of water distribution.
How I built it
H2 all consists of two parts
H2 all core
Runs on docker with the following
Django server- Front end & Communication services with the water point
Mongo dbfor storing statistical usage
Postgres dbfor storing user data &
H2 all waterpoint
- This part consists of both hardware and software that manages the waterpoint #### hardware
- Raspberry pi 3
- GSM 800L
- Water flow sensor
- Solenoid water valve
- jumper wires, Power supply(5v and 12v)
- The software running on the Pi was written using python.
- The handler for the GSM800L uses
serialto communicate with the GSM800L module.
- All the handlers communicate with the remaining hardware component.
Usage in a nutshell
- Person forwards daily token sms to the gsm sim at the water point.
- Valve opens and associated amount in litres is released, monitored by a flow sensor.
- This data is sent to the central server via sms and is logged to mongo db for statistical analysis & presentation.
Challenges I ran into
- Creating a solution that doesn't use internet connection, as arid areas tend to be in remote
- Learning new technologies such as GSM.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Writing a software that connects using this parts to a functional system,
- Writing an open source
GSM800llibrary for the raspberry pi 3.
What I learned
- AT commands, Mongo db queries(using pymongo) and serial communication.
What's next for H2 all
- Use solar panels to power the project.
- The technology behind H2 all can be commercialized in urban areas to enable payment of water through pre-existing mobile solutions like M-Pesa.