Our teammate Logan recently found out he has lactose intolerant and after digging deeper, we found out that a majority of people suffer from digestive disorders. In fact, its estimated that 70% of all people have digestive disorders, and HALF of all digestive disorders go undiagnosed. Indigestion and digestive health is such a big issue that $136billion was spent on gastrointestinal disease in 2019.
We interviewed 68 hackers just to see how wide spread the problem was!
We found that 79% of hackers feel uneasy from food at least once a month! We found that 69% of hackers wonder why their stomach hurts! We found that 84% of hackers care about what they eat and how it affects their body!
Check out the survey!
⚙️WHAT IT DOES⚙️
GutBuddy keeps track of the users' diet and helps recognize foods in their diet that make you feel uneasy and predicts whether or not you may have a digestive disorder
🛠️HOW WE BUILT IT🛠️
UI/UX: Created a mock up in Figma
FE: react app connected to backend with expressJS and NodeJS, utilized react-router-dom, axios and fuzzy-search and react-webcam
BE: mongodb for EVERYTHING
ML: decision-making algorithm to help recognize foods in the diet that are bad, computer vision to capture and store meals AND also give nutritional data to user
With code 👀😊
⏭️WHAT'S NEXT FOR GutBuddy⏭️
Everyone eat better and cares for their body :D
😣 CHALLENGES WE RAN INTO😣
- It was Logan's FIRST hackathon, Kurt's*FIRST* and also Michael's FIRST so there was a learning curve to a lot of stuff especially since we were building an entire app
- Twilio?? HUGEEEEE PAIN, we couldn't figure out how to get different a Canadian phone number to work for outgoing sms and also have our own custom messages for a little while. After a couple hours of reading documentation, we got it working with an US phone!
- disjoined datasets
- authentication with mongodb was a super hard challenge because we created disjoined datasets
- limitations on compute performance because of mongodb
- bad wifi 💀
- no electricity ⚡
- not enough food
- launching the site with vercel/digital ocean was super janky because Vercel was running a yarn installation EVEN THOUGH WE'RE USING NPM
- integrating twilio and tying it into our database
🎉ACCOMPLISHMENTS WE ARE PROUD OF🎉
- Learning git and mongodb was HUGE! Super important technologies in a lot of projects
- Getting Twilio to work properly (its our first time)
- First time designing a supportive app that's ✨functional AND pretty ✨without a dedicated ui/ux designer
- USER AUTHENTICATION WORKS!! ( つ•̀ω•́)つ
- Using so many tools, languages and frameworks at once, and making them work together :D
- ALL OF IT 😎😎😎
- creating a full stack MERN app within 24 hours
- Submitting on time (I hope? 😬) <--- yeah we did 😎