Inspired by my recent experience with remote onboarding, I had some challenges getting accustomed to my team's process and work. There were a lot of moving parts to the job and needed a way to organize resources. Since I was hired remotely, it was difficult to have training and onboarding sessions with my team. This project was inspired by my challenges as a new software engineer, with a new team, and a new process.

What it does

Similar to how simple online classes work, this app was designed to create an environment where it is easy for managers/mentors to create a training session with prerecorded videos and have a hub for all trainees to do their onboarding/training. It simplifies the view process so that users can quickly follow along during the training session. Links support other media, including stream links, so they can be used for live training straight from the app. Supported: Youtube, Facebook, SoundCloud, Streamable, Vimeo, Wistia, Twitch, DailyMotion, Vidyard, Supported file types that are playing using or elements.

How I built it

I used React to create the components along with monday SDK

Challenges I ran into

Simplifying the layout so that it is easy for anyone to understand what the app does. GraphQL was very challenging in the beginning, the very first time using it.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Learning new technologies such as GraphQL, understanding other systems. I proved to myself that I still have some creative energy in the tank to create something new!

What I learned

Since entering as a new software engineer, I had a rough experience learning everything new again. For a while, I thought that I may have lost the creative edge that brought me to become a software engineer in the first place. This hackathon was super helpful in reminding me I can still create new things, and not just make things work.

What's next for Training Grandcentral

Simplify further, have the ability to communicate between the collection board and the training boards themselves would be nice. Clear some bugs, and refactor the code better.

Built With

Share this project: