We were inspired by the problem of unsold bycatch becoming food waste. We chose to tackle this challenge to increase:
- Food security,
- Fisher incomes,
- Buyer access to fresh, local fish, and
Challenge theme covered:
- Extra Harvest Marketplace
- Catch Area Tokenization
- High-value Seafood Passport Token
What it does
We built a sustainable marketplace to connect buyers directly to the fisherman. The fisherman may register the catch into the system, and get listed into the marketplace. With some connectivity, they will be able to see the result and interact with the buyer in the future.
The catch information will be saved in the blockchain to increase the accountability and security. It's saved in the EPCIS format for a high interoperability. On top of it we created a verification layer which checked the data against some sustainability rules. Currently we tested against fishing ground, and some stretch into fishing gear and endangered species.
How I built it
The interfaces and backend was built using node.js, bootsrap, and leaflet for the map visual.
The fisherman part was simulated using Oliot to wrap the data. In the future this might come from any tools with geolocation information, such as mobile phones to IoT.
The data is stored in the VeChain blockchain.
Challenges I ran into
The zones dataset are huge. 1 zone might contain more than 200,000 points which are not practical. Practical zone should be developed for the data layer with less granularity.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- The work exposed solutions possibilites for the by-catch problems which are rarely getting the attention.
- The work if established well may be applicable to help both fisherman and buyers instantly.
- Team ability to accomplished the POC within 24 hrs from scratch.
What I learned
Exposing commercial values of the by-catch might have a sustainability impact as usually all of the monitoring happened in the main catch. This early system in-place should be beneficial as it provides control
What's next for Good Fish
- Connect the entries from a device (VMS, AIS, etc) to have an untampered location.
- Switch from Buy to Auction model.
- Enhance with the fisherman dashboard, so they can interact with the product and buyer as long as they have the connectivity.
- Incorporate more seafood products with their sustainability rules to provide the information to the buyer and fisherman.
- Related to the sustainability rules, more data layer can be added (Mangrove maps for shrimp products).
- Related to the sustainability rules, fisherman catch history/quota can be considered.